Since October 2012, Kimberly Meesters has served as Sprint’s manager of the Sprint Cup Series sponsorship, overseeing the day-to-day operations of the company’s multiyear investment in NASCAR. Based in Huntersville, N.C., she manages a team focused on event branding, mobile marketing, media relations, driver/team programs and hospitality.
With more than 17 years of experience, she also has served in communication and marketing roles for the Charlotte Regional Visitors Association, helping to launch the NASCAR Hall of Fame; Las Vegas Motor Speedway; and the Indy Racing League.
The Texas native graduated from Texas A&M University with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and later earned a master’s degree from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. She currently resides in Mooresville, N.C., with her husband, Scott, and daughter, Maclaren.
Q&A with Kimberly:
- What is the best lesson from college that still applies to your job? There is a difference between giving directions and giving direction. Interns and undergrads may need directions but grad students and professionals should only need direction.
- What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Being a wife, mother and business woman. It is a challenging but rewarding life that requires a level of balance equivalent to tightrope walking.
- What is the biggest myth about your job? That we have endless budgets.
- What is the best part of working at Sprint? We push every day to make the sponsorship work harder for the company. As a result, we are always learning, always improving and never settling. I love that type of challenging environment. It is like a workout for your career every day.
- What is the best part of working with JHE? I have complete confidence in their product. They pull off live events better than anyone. I love the comfort level of knowing it will be handled the right way when JHE is in the mix.
- What has most impressed you about JHE? Its growth. I was first introduced to Jay’s company in 1997, and it has grown immensely since that time.
- What is your best tip for success? I love the lesson in the current best-seller Lean Inby Sheryl Sandberg which says your career is a jungle gym not a ladder. I’m a believer in branching off your current path if necessary to learn more, even if it feels like a step backward. Success isn’t necessarily defined by a linear path.
Seven Things People May Not Know about Kimberly…
- My favorite sport is … college football. I was a die-hard Texas Aggie long before Johnny Football, and I’ll be an Aggie long after.
- My favorite vacation yet was to… Hawaii but really anything tropical works for me.
- The product that should be invented is… something that can transport us from point A to point B without a delay. Imagine how much time we would save in our lives without sitting in a car or on a plane.
- My favorite quote is… “Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” – Will Rogers
- I don’t leave home without… a plan! I am always on a mission to accomplish something. And of course I always have my Sprint cellphone (currently the Samsung Note).
- My biggest pet peeve is… email! Like anything, it was great until it started to saturate our lives. I know it is a handy tool but it can be really counterproductive.
- The best concert I’ve ever seen is… maybe not the best, but one of the more memorable ones was my favorite artist and fellow Texan Pat Green playing at Jay’s birthday party.
To keep up with Kimberly, follow her on Twitter at @kmeesters.