One of JHE’s newest team members is a die-hard UNC basketball fan and “bleeds Carolina blue,” despite the fact that he played baseball at Ball State University.
Meet Bert Hensley, the general manager for JHE’s newest adventure – an office in Music City. With strong relationships in Nashville, Hensley will be instrumental in serving as general manager, working with other JHE producers to design and execute projects and events, and managing the Nashville office and staff.
A native of Oxford, Ohio, Hensley brings more than 20 years of experience coordinating and executing corporate programs and celebrity-driven events for Fortune 500 companies, associations, marketing agencies, and entertainment industry organizations.
Previously, he was an event producer at Gary Musick Productions, partner at Executive Golf Management and vice president of business development and strategic alliances at Knowledge Strategies Group.
Married to Ann-Marie, daughters Elly and Maddy keep the couple busy. In addition, Hensley is an active supporter of the T.J. Martell Foundation and the Eric Montross Father’s Day Basketball Camp benefiting the North Carolina Children’s Hospital.
On the Record with Bert:
- What is the best lesson from college that still applies to your job? As a pitcher on the baseball team, I learned that the key to success on game day was to put in a lot of hard work in practice, and that while it was up to me to make things happen, it took a solid team of people all doing their job for us to achieve our goals.
- What is the best career advice you ever received? Always be the calmest guy in the room.
- What made you want to become a part of the JHE family? I had the good fortune of working with JHE on a project a year before joining the company. I was able to see firsthand the attention to detail and the ability to follow through in executing a high profile, live event. It was that team-oriented approach and standard of excellence that attracted me to JHE.
- What is the biggest myth about your job? That I get to show up just before an event, have a front row seat to watch, then leave with the rest of the attendees.
- What’s your secret to success? In making decisions, determine the best case scenario, the worst case scenario (and if you can live with this), and the most likely scenario. This process has allowed me to make better informed decisions and then act decisively.
Things People May Not Know About Bert
- On my iPod playlist right now is … Vince Gill, Johnny Cash, Sturgill Simpson, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Jack White, The Avett Brothers.
- I spend my weekends … at volleyball tournaments and cheerleading competitions watching my daughters compete.
- My favorite sport is … I really like a wide variety of sports, but I am most passionate about college basketball - more specifically UNC. I have had very close ties to the Tar Heel program for 25 years, and I bleed Carolina Blue.
- I don’t leave home without … my phone, which keeps me connected to all the things that are important to me.
- My favorite quote is … “Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” – John Wesley
Stay connected to Bert on Twitter at @BertHensley.