Joe Hodge is no stranger to a race track. The Indianapolis, Indiana, native has spent more than 18 years either working for an INDYCAR race team or for the governing body itself. With experience of this caliber, it’s no wonder he has moved up the ranks to his current position as INDYCAR’s director of special events.
The Ball State University grad has a breadth of responsibilities under his care including creating a big event atmosphere at each event, pre-race ceremonies programming, post-race Victory Circle, cultivating driver awareness, closed-circuit TV program and the list continues.
After working with JHE for more than nine years, it’s interesting that we recently learned that the racing pro turned down a soccer scholarship earlier in life.
Q&A with Joe:
- What is the best part of your job? Working with all of the different groups and organizations.
- What is the best part of working with JHE? Working relationships and friendships.
- What has most impressed you about JHE? Their professionalism and ability to handle high-pressure situations.
- What is your personal definition of success? Believing in yourself, making a difference to the people around you, positive impact, being a good person.
Things people may not know about Joe:
- My runner-up career was … I would say I would like to be a college basketball or soccer coach. This has always intrigued me.
- On my iPod playlist right now is … I have been listening more to Pandora, tailored playlists on the following stations; “We Came To Smash” Radio, “David Guetta” Radio and “Luke Bryan” Radio. I have a couple other stations that I am not going to share. Ha!
- My favorite vacation yet … Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
- Compelling TV binge … Some would probably argue if these are compelling, but I would go with Saturday Night Live, One Tree Hill and The Big Bang Theory.
- My favorite quote is … “You Can’t Stop Time,” “Just Roll with It,” and “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- The best concert I’ve ever seen is … Kid Rock, Bon Jovi, Florida Georgia Line and Miami’s Ultra Music Festival.