South Carolina-native Kristin Thompson has been a part of the JHE family for the past five years. A graduate from Coastal Carolina University with a bachelor’s degree in psychology, the event coordinator in JHE’s special events department started her career as a marketing assistant with the USAR Hooters Pro Cup Series. Working on everything from series merchandise design and sales, hospitality coordination and pre- and post-race events for the short-track racing series, Kristin garnered an immense amount of experience that laid the groundwork for her current role.
Planning and executing special events at JHE is no easy task. Kristin has learned you can never be too prepared and always need to be able to roll with the punches. Being able to see the big picture is what enables her to succeed in planning events such as NASCAR Summit.
Q&A with Kristin:
- Biggest myth about your job: That event planning is easy.
- The best career advice you ever received: Not to second guess your gut instinct; it’s typically always right.
- Accomplishment at JHE you are most proud of: I can honestly say that I am proud of everything I have been able to be a part of in the past 5 years – we do some really cool stuff. I’d say the event I most enjoyed working on was the NASCAR Garage Bar & Grill. I was fortunate to be a part of the conceptualization process with NASCAR and was able to see it all the way through to execution. The event was a totally different spin on the previous year and the décor was just awesome. It was a really rewarding feeling to see their vision come to life so beautifully.
- What makes you good at your job: Being able to see the big picture amidst all of the little details without losing sight of how important the little details are to the overall event. I am also OCD about organization which is completely necessary to keep everything in order. I make a killer event notebook… with lots and lots of tabs.
- Best part of working at JHE: The people. I am amazed at how well everyone here gets along and genuinely cares about each other. I’ve never experienced a work culture quite like this.
- The best lesson from college that still applies to your job: Don’t drink too much the night before a big test. And don’t procrastinate.
- Tell us about overseeing NASCAR Summit: My role pre-event was to work closely with the AV and operations departments in addition to the client to create the final stage design. I also wrote the contracts and built and managed the event budget. On site, I served as the liaison between our technical staff and the client, transferring information and presentations as well as making sure the staff at the event had everything they needed to be successful.
NASCAR Garage Bar & Grill
Eight things about Kristin you may not know…
- My first job was… a summer job at Myrtle Waves Water Park when I was 16.
- My family is… awesomely different.
- I spend my Saturdays… Depends on the weekend. A lot of my Saturdays are spent working events so when I’m home I try to make the most of it. But most of the time, I end up sleeping in way longer than I intended J
- My favorite sport is… college football. Go Clemson Tigers!
- I don’t leave home without… besides the necessities (wallet, phone, etc.), chapstick. Can’t go anywhere without it. That and a spare rubber band.
- My favorite vacation yet was… While it wasn’t a long vacation, a few other co-workers and I (and one cardboard cutout of Tony Stewart) went to Key West after the November NASCAR Fuel for Business Council Meeting that was held in Miami. It was a great time! We met a lot of interesting people while we were carrying around Flat Tony; he was very popular on the island.
- My favorite quote is… anything that comes out of Terry Hodges’ or Ronnie Oehler’s mouth is typically pretty good but most can’t be repeated.
- Anything else interesting people should know about you? If you ever walk into our office there is a good chance you will find me standing on my desk talking to the rest of the first floor.