Jacob Meadows, who holds an Associate of Science in recording arts degree, has seen his role at JHE change dramatically over the past seven years. The senior production manager has had a variety of jobs prior to joining JHE including a musician, a dishwasher and an audio expert at White Water Recording Studio.
Today, he has his hands in a mix of everything technical, including any LED video walls or control room installations. Overseeing the production department, the Florida-native works with a team of audio and video technicians on the Sprint Unlimited Experience Tour, Trackside Live and various other projects involving video components.
Q&A with Jacob:
- What makes you good at your job: I have mild excessive compulsive disorder, and my job requires clean and precise wiring, diagrams and organization. Adding that with a passion for audio and video makes for a pretty buttoned up engineer.
- Accomplishment at JHE you are most proud of: Designing the first rolling video screen for the NASCAR All-Star race. It is now a six year running tradition and a true technical feat.
- Best part of working at JHE: The atmosphere. It is definitely not like working at IBM here. As long as you are doing what’s expected of you, this company is comfortable and forgiving to personal life which is fairly important to the traveling positions within JHE.
- The most important lesson you’ve learned at JHE: Don’t eat the hotdogs at Martinsville Speedway.
- The best career advice you ever received: Never avoid responsibility; success and failure contribute to experience equally.
- Insider secret to your job: Trade shows, trade magazines and watching current productions. You HAVE to know the newest technology or you will behind in less than six months.
- The best lesson from college that still applies to your job: You are never going to hear “thank you” for a job done well but you can be sure of a job done bad catching attention.
- Biggest myth about your job: “That I don’t do anything.”
Ten Things About Jacob You May Not Know:
- My runner-up career would be… a video game project engineer.
- My family is… wild. My five year old son went white water rafting at four years old down the Nantahala River. We regularly go on outdoor adventures and get into adrenaline-based activities.
- My typically Saturday is… cook breakfast, put a ham on the smoker, drink three pots of coffee, tend to my cayenne pepper garden, do some redundant landscaping, play some video games with my son and grill hamburgers, take the ham off the smoker and serve for dinner, watch a “Star Wars” movie with my son and then go to bed.
- My favorite sport is… freestyle white water kayaking.
- How I relax… on my couch or in a tent in the woods.
- I don’t leave home without… cigarettes and black coffee.
- My favorite vacation yet is… Cabo Engano and Dominican Republic (AMAZING SURFING!).
- Product that should be invented… abattery heated coffee mug so your coffee never gets cold!
- Favorite quote… “If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t there more happy teenagers?”
- Anything else interesting people should know about you? I compete in freestyle kayak competitions. I have been to 10 countries outside the U.S. with my father. I love the outdoors. I have guided rafts, climbed mountains and hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail. I am the father to an amazing young man named Connor who is already smarter than me. I love hot peppers and grow over 20 different types in my garden each summer. I enjoy cooking and making beef jerky all year.