As operations coordinator, Cody Kauffman has many responsibilities both in the office and at the track. The Indiana-native is in charge of maintaining the warehouse, stages and signage for all opening ceremonies and overseeing vehicle services for the driver introduction parade laps. He works closely with Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, NASCAR, ESPN and each track to manage the parade vehicles and execute the parade lap.
Prior to joining the JHE family 18 months ago, Kauffman served as a multi lines claims adjuster for Crawford & Company handling casualty and property claims. He graduated from Marshall University with a Bachelor of Science in business and hospitality management.
Q&A with Cody:
- What is a typical day like for you? When I’m in the office, my typical day consists of working on contracts for the parade laps, maintaining the warehouse, stage maintenance and checking signage for upcoming races. At the track, I ensure equipment is ready for the parade lap vehicle. Then I help get the stage ready for opening ceremonies by assisting with tightening banners, setting bike fence and helping with audio needs.
- What is the most important lesson you’ve learned at JHE? Expect the unexpected.
- What accomplishment at JHE are you most proud of? Coordinating the largest American flag pulled by a Ford truck at Homestead-Miami Speedway last year for the national anthem prior to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Race.
- What is the biggest myth about your job? We only work weekends and get to watch every race.
- What is the insider secret to your job? Staying organized is key; I have a notebook for every track.
- What makes you good at your job? I am very organized and good with time management.
Six Things You Might Not Know About Cody:
- My runner-up career would be… owning and operating my own bar and grill.
- I spend my weekends… on the road for work or traveling to visit friends and family.
- I don’t leave home without… my St. Christopher necklace.
- My favorite vacation so far was to… Germany last October. I was best man in my best friend’s wedding and was the legal witness to sign off on the wedding. It was a great experience and a huge honor to be a part of his special day.
- The product that should be invented is… a teleportation machine.
- Anything else people should know about you? I have a twin sister and yes, we have ESP and can communicate telepathically.
Catch up with Cody on Twitter at @TheVanWilder27.