UNC Charlotte grad Ashley Dempsey majored in computer science and started working as a pharmacy technician at CVS before joining JHE nine years ago. The job cost analyst still considers the people and company culture the company’s best asset.
A dedicated volunteer, Ashley has been committed to donating time and resources to various deserving charities and was thrilled when JHE created the “25 Days of Service” program. Heading up three charitable acts throughout 2012, the Asheboro-native was rewarded for her efforts and presented the JHE Gives Back award at the 2012 Dog and Pony Awards. She received a $2,500 check which JHE donated in her name to the four charities of her choice: hospice, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, March of Dimes, and Puppy Love Animal Rescue of Charlotte.
Q&A with Ashley:
- Role at JHE: I handle accounts receivable, budgets, timesheets, etc.
- The best lesson from college that still applies to your job: Do the most difficult task first.
- The most important lesson you’ve learned at JHE: Don’t be afraid of change.
- Biggest myth about your job: That I sit around counting big stacks of money all day (not true).
- What makes you good at your job: Experience. I have been reconciling budgets since I started here so I know them like the back of my hand.
- Accomplishment at JHE you are most proud of: The Give Back Award I received at this year’s holiday party.
- What charities are most important to you and why? There are three: Susan G. Komen for the Cure because of my friends and family that have had breast cancer; March of Dimes because my niece was born early at 2.2 pounds; and animal rescues because of my love for dogs.
- Why do you think it is so important to give back? I feel like we all need to help each other. We should give while we are able to because there may come a day when we are the ones in need. Do unto others…
Six things about Ashley you may not know…
- I spend my Saturdays… reading and hiking with my husband, Sean, and our dogs, Sophie and Hunter.
- My favorite sport is… I love Panthers Football and Syracuse basketball, but I played soccer growing up.
- I don’t leave home without… orange-flavored Tic Tac®
- My favorite vacation yet is… my most recent vacation to Aruba in November 2012 and a two-week trip to Italy and Germany in 2004 are tied.
- My favorite quote is… “No one has ever become poor from giving.” – Anne Frank
- Anything else interesting people should know? I have a scuba diving license and I ride a motorcycle (I don’t drive it though).