Senior Vice President of NASCAR programming Steve Craddock has worked with the JHE team since joining SPEED six years ago. Prior to his current position, Craddock served as Vice President and Executive Producer for FOX Sports Net in Atlanta where he managed more than 500 live events televised throughout the southeastern US. He has also worked for Jefferson Pilot Sports and as a freelance producer for ESPN, ABC, Turner and other sports networks since his graduation from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1981.
The Reidsville, N.C., native now calls Charlotte home with his wife, Dawn. He has two children, Emily and Russell. When he isn’t at the track, he loves spending time with his family, playing golf, boating, traveling, watching sports and movies, and wine tasting.
Q&A with Steve Craddock
- Describe your job: I work with NASCAR and the management team at FOX Sports to plan and coordinate all NASCAR programming on SPEED. Managing the staff, budget, schedules, talent, program strategies, sponsorship integration, and anything else that may come up when you have 15 to 20 hours of programming per week for 38 weeks of racing, end-of-year awards shows and the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
- The best lesson from college that still applies to your job: Failing is no fun.
- The best career advice you ever received: It was from the late Bill MacPhail at CNN from my early days in management. I keep his hand-written note posted above my desk. It is more life advice, but since the lines between work and play are blurred in the sports television business, it keeps me balanced.
- Think – It’s the source of self-renewal.
- Play – It will keep you young.
- Read – It will rejuvenate your mind.
- Worship – It is the acknowledgement of your limitations.
- Help needy people – It will return more than you give.
- Show love – It is the key to life’s greatest satisfactions.
- Daydream – It will provide a road map for your future.
- Laugh – It restores your balance.
- Biggest myth about your job: You always get free tickets!
- Insider secret to your job: If I told, it would no longer be secret.
- Best part of working with JHE: Great and reliable people who are not afraid of a challenge. We push JHE each week to be set and ready for both a series of live television shows and a marketing platform at each NASCAR track. Many miles are traveled over the season and the setup for our stage is unlike any other in the business. They travel the United States for 40 weeks in all types of adverse weather, with long hours and always make sure the two-day setup and one-day strike happens on time with great expertise and quiet professionalism. Plus, they are really cool folks.
- What has most impressed you about JHE: Attitude. They seem to have an unwavering commitment to our business and willingness to make everything right, no matter how challenging.
Seven Things You Might Not Know About Steve Craddock
- I usually spend my weekends… At work. If not, you can find me golfing, boating and/or firing up the “Green Egg.”
- What or who inspires you? God’s creations all around us each day!
- My favorite sport is… Golf
- My favorite vacation yet was… Italy with my wife.
- My favorite quote is… “Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them.” – Leo Tolstoy
- My runner-up career would have been… Lottery winner
- I don’t leave home without… My phone, of course.
To keep up with Steve Craddock, follow him on Twitter at @cctunes.